It’s poila baishakh today, so I had to decide on a recipe that’s quintessentially Bengali. I also wanted to keep it simple; something that wouldn’t need elaborate planning and preparation such that anyone who stumbled upon my blog today could quickly make the dish. I knew that it had to be something that goes well with tea and adda, something that’s deep fried, and something that has fish in it. The rest was easy! Tea+adda+fish=mourola maacher peyaji (Onion fritters with fish).
Hope you enjoy making and eating this dish and hope you have a wonderful new year. Subho naba barsha (happy Bengali new year) to everyone!
Mourola macher peyaji
- 250 grams mourola Indian carplet
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp nigella/onion seeds
- 3/4 cup gram flour
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- oil for deep frying
- Clean and wash the fish; pat dry. Add turmeric power, salt and lime juice and set aside for 15 mins.
- Add sliced onions, chilies, nigella/onion seeds, gram flour and salt to the fish and mix well. Let it rest for 15 more minutes.
- After 15 minutes the onions and fish will have released just enough water to moisten the gram flour so the onions stick together. You want the batter to be of a doughy consistency, not too free-form. You may add slight water to moisten it just enough so they don't fall apart. Try to use as little water as possible.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry the fritters (about 2 inches).
- Drop the fritter batter into the hot oil by the tablespoonful, a few at a time, and fry over medium heat, turning once, until the fritters are golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. The fritters will have an irregular shape with a few loose pieces of onion and fish escaping here and there. Check one fritter by breaking it open to see if the center Is cooked; it it still seems unset, cook 1 minute more. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with kashundi and hot tea.
Anindya Sundar Basu
we make this often and perhaps we had it first 6 Ballygunge Place. Nice pictures
Wow gonna make this today ashtami special