Pujo has always meant deep fried food to me. In our family, Shosti and Ashtami are vegetarian days. We mostly make khicuri and lots of batter fired veggies or pulao on these two days. It has now become a habit to eat egetarian deep fried meals on these two pujo days for me. Of all the things mom makes, the palong shaker bora is my favorite!
Palong Shaker Bora
- 1 bag bag baby spinach
- 1 cup gram flour
- salt to taste
- red chili powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup of water or more to create a pancake-like batter
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash, clean and dry the spinach leaves.
- Mix gram flour, salt, chili powder, baking soda and water in a bowl to form a smooth and thick paste, something like pancake batter consistency.
- Heat sufficient oil for deep frying.
- Stack 2-3 leaves of spinach together, stem side up. Holding the stems together, dip the spinach leaves in the batter to coat evenly and drop into hot oil. Flip after 1 minute. Remove onto absorbent paper when golden brown.