Shukto with anything
Try this shukto recipe when you are cooking for 1-2 people. Use whatever vegetables you have. This recipe doesn't even use radhuni. This is a quick everyday shukto to use up all the leftover vegetables.
- 1 bitter gourd sliced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1 small egg plant diced
- 1 cup green beans whole or halved
- 8-10 boris optional
- 1/2 tsp panch phoron
- 1/2 inch ginger ground or chopped
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds make into a smooth paste with 1 green chili
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds made into a smooth paste
- 2 cups low fat milk or coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp (or more) sugar
- 1 tbsp ghee
- oil for shallow frying the vegetables
Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Fry all the vegetables until cooked, one at a time, and set aside on blotting paper. Fry the boris until golden brown and set aside.
To the same oil, add panch phoron and ginger. Let cook for 30 seconds.
Add poppy seed and mustard paste, and let cook for another minute.
Reduce heat and pour in the milk or coconut milk. Add salt and sugar. Once it comes to a boil, add all the fried vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add ghee (optional) before turning off the heat. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fried boris. Serve with steamed rice.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 1024mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 8573IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 263mg | Iron: 2mg